On these drizzle-filled, chilly Fall mornings, easing into the day seems like a lovely luxury to have a few moments to ourselves as parents. It seems like we are forever running around trying to meet the needs of everyone else.
Unfortunately, that all starts over again with the arrival of Monday morning. But, there may actually be some ways to cut the stress and make our busy lives a bit more beautiful.
This month on OBE, we’re bringing you some of the hottest ways to organize, decompress and employ some new parenting techniques.
Take a look at five Busy Mom Sanity Savers we’ve got for you:
1. Family Traditions to Create Healthier Families – Canadian journalist Erica Fyvie debuts her new column this Friday, Sept. 17 with a great piece on how creating day-to-day family traditions eases stress, builds connections with your kids and (gasp) actually makes your life easier.
2. The Un-Dinner Movement – Get on board the un-dinner train with 10 great meals that require little or no cooking yet are healthy and satisfying for everyone in your family. Plan your meals around weekly un-dinners and sit down across the table with your kids for a great way to ease the stress of “What’s for dinner?”. We’ll have recipes and more Wednesday, Sept. 22 in our Food and Your Family section.
3. Healthy Obsessions - How many times have you nearly pulled your hair out about Pokemon, The Littlest Pet Shop and other obsessions that your kids are a bit crazed over? These obsessions can, in the end, actually be healthy outlets for all kinds of skill and learning development. On Thursday, Sept. 30, we take a look at how to help your kids manage their obsessions – and then let them run with them – making for better ways to talk to your kids, manage family concerns and, in the end, learn more about who they are.
4. Spending Time Outside. As Fall sets in, getting the family outside exploring, staying active and learning is key to beating rainy-day cabin fever. We’ll be here on Monday, Sept. 27 with tips for biking throughout the year with your family. Don’t forget that you also can still drop in to the OBE NeighbourWood Walks at 10 a.m. each Wednesday through October. Get all of the details HERE.
5. Managing Family Finances – Family finance guru Kim Deep guides us through ways to help our kids begin to manage their own money as well as understand dollars and cents in the family as her new column debuts Monday, Sept. 20. Give everyone in your family the tools to make money something that brings you together instead of divides.
Looking forward to sharing some great ideas and introducing you to more of our new columnists this month here on OBE.