In honor of the spirit of the teenagers that I work with and hopefully to inspire a few adults to rediscover their inner teenager, I bring to you a list of possible resolutions for the New Year. After all, all I really need to know, I learned from teenagers:
1. Sleep in as much as you can get away with.
2. Put yourself first. You are the centre of your universe.
3. Eat more pizza.
4. If you don’t want to do something, don’t.
5. Perfect the art of rolling your eyes.
6. Remember to shower – frequently. Good grooming is everything.
7. If you are in love with someone and they do not know, feign disinterest and argue with them whenever you get the chance.
8. When you have the girl/boy of your dreams never ever stop touching them. If you can’t touch, text.
9. When you break up, move on – fast.
10. Only do as much homework as you can stomach. Sometimes life is more important.
11. Get someone else to clean your room.
12. Skip school to go snowboarding once in awhile.
13. Swear like you mean it.
14. If you don’t know, pretend you do.
15. Laugh at adults.
17. Have a theme song.
18. Listen to more music.
19. Care about cool.
20. Rent really terrible, extra-especially horrible movies sometimes.
21. Take care of your friends.
22. When you are in trouble, ask your parents for help.
23. Forgive yourself your mood swings.
24. Party every weekend.
25. Believe in the future.
26. Find your identity.
27. Have a passion.
28. When the daydreaming and the showers and the pizza are not enough, cry in your room with the lights off.
29. Be fearless. Tell people what you think, what you really, really think.
30. Most importantly, find a way to have fun everyday! Fun is not a four letter word