Fiddleheads have to be one of our most favorite culinary scores for this year. Plentiful in the Canadian east and easily found in grocers across the country, their wild flavor and rustic goodness give a great twist to many standards – especially egg dishes.
They may seem a bit intimidating. But, really, you just wash and steam them a bit, fry them up with butter, salt and pepper, then throw them in your favorite egg casserole recipe. Here’s our take on fiddlehead fritatas:
- - about 1 pound of fresh fiddleheads, cleaned
- 1 TBSP butter
- 6 eggs
- A dash of milk
- Your favorite cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Clean and steam the fiddleheads for about 5 minutes.
2. Take the butter, melt it in a pan and fry those fiddleheads up. You can add garlic or onion as well if you like
3. Combine the eggs and milk, salt and pepper, put in a baking dish. Mix the fiddleheads in. Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until light brown on top.
Delicious spring goodness!