The Alberta flooding has left hundreds of thousands of people outed from their homes, many with substantial losses and in need of a big helping hand from the Canadian community.
Here are some of the organizations that are volunteering assistance, needing volunteers or need donations around Calgary and Southern Alberta:
- The City of Calgary is asking people to help accommodate anyone who has been evacuated and needs shelter. If you are able to open your home or business up to evacuees, please contact the City.
- The Calgary Drop-In Centre is looking for donations of pre-made sandwiches, packaged snacks and blankets. They should be brought to 6031 Elbow Drive S.W. or call 403.253.7136. Southland Leisure Centre in Calgary is looking for volunteers to make and bring sandwiches for evacuees.
- The Calgary YWCA is asking for financial donations after their facility was hit hard by flood waters. You can donate here.
- If you see an animal that needs help, phone the Alberta SPCA at 1-800-455-9003. Temporary housing for pets is available through AARCS at 403-250-7377 during business hours or 403-869-4694 after hours.
- Facebook pages for clean-up efforts can be found at:
If you can volunteer in Nanton, call 403-422-0190.
The City of Calgary is asking people to help in the following ways:
- Limit water use as much as possible
- Stay clear of riverbanks and areas affected by the flood
- Keep the phone lines clear, unless it’s an emergency
Image courtesy of Canadian Press